Is it time for a new Air Conditioner?
Are you feeling the heat this summer and your trusty Air Con just isn’t doing it for you?
When it’s the middle of summer and the heat is becoming unbearable, the last thing you want is for your air conditioning to let you down. With this in mind, here are 8 signs it might be time to replace your existing Air Conditioner;
1. Your air conditioner is over 10 years old
While some of the higher end brands have a life span up to 15 years, most air conditioners over 10 years are getting past their use by date. No matter how well they have been maintained or serviced, mechanical parts like fans, fan motors and the compressor will be showing signs of old age. If your AC is over ten years, then it’s time to consider a retirement plan for it.
2. It’s just not cool enough
An Air conditioner that is not cool enough is nothing more than an expensive fan. If you’ve ticked off all of the usual reasons your air conditioner might be struggling to keep your house cool – dirty air filter or coils, leaks or blockages – then chances are you Air con is suffering from a severe case of old age,or is too small for the size of your home. Either way, it’s time for a replacement.
3. The temperature is inconsistent throughout your home
If you find you’re family are all gravitating towards the same spot in your house because that’s where the ‘cool’ is, that’s definitely not cool. If you’ve had it checked for dust, leaks, duct and equipment problems and thermostat errors, and it’s still not cooling consistently…you know what to do!
4. Increasing energy bills
As your Air Conditioner – like any electrical appliance – gets older, it uses more energy to produce the same output causing an increase in your energy bills.
5: Excessive repairs
If you have your AC technician’s number on speed dial, then your air conditioner has become an unnecessary drain on financial resources. Coupled with the downtime from excessive repairs, it’s a no-brainer. Ditch it fast!
6: Noisy to run
Have you been sleeping with a pillow over your head because of the noise coming from your AC? As Air Conditioners age, the parts become weaker, fan and compressor bearings start to wear out and produce vibrations that cause the noise.
7: Gives off an unusual smell
When this happens, you already have a list of excuses handy to tell friends and family members to prevent them from coming over. I’m sure your friends are very understanding, but it’s quite embarrassing to have to explain why your home smells like a wet dog when you don’t own a dog.
8: Excessive moisture
Any moisture coming into your home from your air conditioner is a no-no. If you have carpets and other floor finishes that may get damaged, that’s extra costs in the not-too-far future. Other after effects of moisture in the house include pungent smell and the growth of mould; both with its accompanying risks.
Benefits of Replacing Your Air Conditioner
1. 5 to 7 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty: Peace of mind for the next 5-7 years
2. Low Carbon Emission: If your AC system is between five and 10 years, there’s likelihood that your system still uses ozone-depleting chemicals that damage the environment. Newer AC systems use the more ozone-friendly R410a that emits low amount of carbon,
3. Better Quality Air: Newer technologies use improved installation techniques such as duct blasting, home sealing, and negative and positive pressurization. These techniques ensure the AC is fitted properly and that the AC doesn’t leak dust into your home. Also, with better and more consistent air-flow throughout your home, your air quality within your home will improve. If someone in your family suffers from asthma or allergies there are systems available that remove allergens from the air and absorb and deactivate bacteria and viruses
4. Lower Energy Bills: Over the last few years, innovations and improvements into cooling systems has seen energy use drop between 10 to 30% depending on the manufacturer and model of the air conditioner.
5. Newer Technology: Newer AC’s come with many features old air conditioners lack such as gas valves modulation, superior humidity control, uniform cooling, and superior humidity control. This means you have more control over the output of your AC.
6. Modern visual ascetics: A new modern air conditioner not only performs better, it also looks better in your home. Newer models are designed to compliment all homes and can be installed to blend in perfectly with your interior.
7. Remote Access: An offshoot of new technology is the ability to power and control your cooling system from anywhere via your smart phone. Whether you forgot to power your AC off before heading out, or you wish to have a well-cooled home when you arrive home, the remote access feature is a godsend!
8. Add to your house resell value: A new and energy-efficient air conditioner can bump up the resell value of a building. Not only that, it can influence a buyers decision making process.